More than ever, performance plays a key role in the monetary success of a mobile app. Here, we’ll take a closer look at the key mobile app performance monitoring metrics and benchmarks that you need to be tracking in order to optimize your app’s performance and ultimately improve app quality. These metrics have the biggest impact on the end-user experience, so it’s important to measure them and understand what benchmarks to hit in order to meet and exceed users’ expectations.
Mobile app stability
One of the biggest indicators of an unusable app is how often it crashes. Users that encounter crashes are much more likely to uninstall an app than any other reason. Using a crash reporting tool will alert you to any uptick in errors and also help you catch issues early after a release before they become widespread and catastrophic. App stability is measured in crashes per session or user. The industry standards for crash-free rates to target are:
- Crash-free users > 99 %
- Crash-free sessions > 99.9 %
Mobile wait times
An app doesn’t have to be completely unusable for it to be considered of poor quality and worthy of being uninstalled. A huge part of an app’s performance is assessing how long a user has to wait at launch, between screen transitions, and after performing any requests. Let’s look at the different kinds of wait times:
- App launch times: Speed is an essential part of app performance monitoring. Users don’t like to wait and they especially don’t like slow apps. How fast your app launches can set very important first impressions with your users and goes a long way to retain them. App launch speed is very indicative of the overall quality of your app and tracking it will help assess the responsiveness of your app. Based on an analysis of the top 100 apps, 39 apps start in under or around 2 seconds, and 73 in under 3 seconds. Ideally, you should be targeting an app launch time of 1.5 to 2 seconds.
- Network response times: Network calls play a huge role in the speed and responsiveness of your app. A study shows that to be competitive, your app should respond to user requests within 1 second. It also indicates that many apps fail to meet that due to unreliable or slow services. Usually, network performance is tracked on the server-side. And while that is important, it only tells half of the story. Tracking client-side network calls and their response times is also key when trying to fully assess network performance.
- App trace completion times: Every app is built differently. To best understand your end users’ experience, you need to be able to assess your client-side logic and see how long specific traces in your app take to execute (2 seconds average). This will give you a deeper and more granular picture of where your app is failing to meet users’ expectations and ultimately help you to pinpoint and resolve issues faster.
- UI response times: No app performance monitoring metrics are complete without an assessment of UI hangs. You need to constantly monitor the responsiveness of your app’s user interface for issues. Users can experience UI hangs for various reasons and if there’s a longer than usual delay (250ms on average) or a failure to respond to a user’s input, you need to be aware of it in order to fix it as soon as possible before the negative reports and comments come flooding in.
Using an APM tool for your mobile app
Instrumenting your app with an Application Performance Monitoring tool will help you stay on top of how your app is doing in the wild and act proactively to find problem areas in your app’s performance. Instabug’s APM tool helps you track key metrics to improve your app’s performance, including Apdex scores, UI hangs, network timeouts and issues, slow launches, tracking custom traces, and more.
For the best results, use Instabug’s APM, Crash Reporting, and Bug Reporting together to have a complete picture of your app’s quality, performance, and stability. Each tool is essential on its own, and when combined, the sum is even greater than its parts and you’ll have all the data and information you need at your fingertips to deliver the fastest and most reliable experience for your users, and outperform your competition.
Learn more about mobile app performance monitoring benchmarks and metrics
- Instabug Apdex score: Measuring mobile app performance
- Understanding cold, hot, and warm, app launch time
- How to improve app performance
- Mobile app quality: An essential guide
Instabug’s triple threat of APM, Crash Reporting, and Bug Reporting tools will empower you to optimize your mobile app’s performance and deliver the high quality experience your users expect and deserve.